Hiding from the storm in Patras

By Deborah - The weather forecast promised heavy thunderstorms, lightening and wild winds - not something you want to challenge yourself with on a bike! So we decided to spend some time in the next town (hence all the posts). Patras is a city of about 260,000 people - the 3rd largest city in Greece but it seems to have been claimed by many over the years - Venetians, Byzantines, Romans, Ottomans - truly a mix of ancient super powers! They all left behind a taste of their power which leaves an eclectic European city feel, completely different to Athens. It was fun to explore the cafes and their ancient beginnings but tomorrow we head off again.
The view over Patras from the castle wall


The Greek Orthodox Church - the sign said you had to be ‘dressed decently’ with no hints of what would be decent... I sweated it out with a  polar fleece (also doing the washing while in the city)

Inside was both beautiful and intricate


The prayer altar (yes I read the manual and I was allowed to take photos)

I love his contrariness

The Roman Odean. They found this after the 2nd world war completely covered in soil but was dug out and partially restored. Hard to imagine they had to dig it out when it stands on top of the hill!

The harsh crowd killed me

The port has ferries to Italy from here. Hence it was earlier claimed by the Romans as an outpost. Probably why everyone claimed it at sometime - I feel bad for the Greeks they clearly weren’t warlike enough.

St George’s square in the middle of town... gives you a feel for the place
The narrow little streets have a quiet charm of their own. Everywhere has been tagged adding to the colours of the gardens and rooves.

Thought I’d show you those narrow streets

And cute gardens


Number 360 could possibly be a bad neighbour judging by the shoes hanging on the power line.

I originally thought our apartment was at the top of these stairs...

People tell me I should put more people in my photos but you all only know me and Johan- so creepy tourist shots to come...

 Happy Dutchman after knicking an orange - until he tasted it. Far out very punishingly sour 🤣🤣🤣


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Northern Albania

On our way

Adriatic Coast - Croatia and Slovenia